Walking Thoughts

Hibiscus

We walked the dogs at the park today, as we do every day, usually twice a day. The dogs run free as do our thoughts. My silent thoughts sounded like this: I wonder where that spearmint plant is I saw yesterday?... I should’ve dug up that butterfly milkweed I saw last year; it’s been bulldozed…I’ve never seen that hibiscus before…Will the bee balm bloom again this year?

Spotted Wintergreen
Joe, who I should clarify is not only a Movie Man but a Music Man as well, has been singing Tom Waits’s “Innocent When You Dream” lately, saying it’d be a good song for a quiet murder scene in a movie. While I wondered about plants, he said, “First there was Swordfishtrombones, then Rain Dogs, then Frank’s Wild Years. That’s a trilogy. There was something else…” He went on to list Tom Waits's discography, and later asked if we should watch Waitress, another Hal Hartley movie, soon. “Yes,” I answered, thinking, Maybe I should put rocks around the fire pit and move the Mondo Grass to the other side of the yard.

When we got in the car he took out the Tom Waits cd and put in Johnny Cash. “It’s been nice listening to this but it’s really …”

Cold weather music, I thought immediately.

“Fall and winter music,” he said.

Comments