Hal Hartley and More


The first thing my Movie Man did when I retired is buy a giant television. I think it’s 75 inches across the diagonal. Since then we’ve watched a lot of movies. As wagered, we’ve finished the Henry Fool trilogy. I liked Henry Fool and Ned Rifle best.

Somehow I failed to mention that we also watched Flirt, which took at least two sittings.
For clarity, I’m not writing this blog to tell you about these movies; I’m writing to tell you about being married to a Movie Man. So if you’re looking for something about Hal Hartley, here’s a link:


Joe sent me this link yesterday and this morning asked if I’d read it. We’ve watched seven Hal Hartley movies in a row* and as of now I’ve also read the above article. I am a Good Wife.

*Full confession, we watched Klute in between the last two Hal Hartley movies. Jane Fonda’s voice gets on my nerves, but I liked the movie very much. It’s shot all in darkness, and has a very scary soundtrack, the kind that would have scared the bejeesus out of me as a child, and still had me curled up with my knees to my chest and my hands across my eyes. Joe had problems with the logistics, thought it was sloppy. I enjoyed being scared and watching Donald Sutherland morph between looking quite handsome and looking like a junkyard dog from scene to scene.

Last night our friend Peter came over and we watched a documentary about a young man who climbed El Capitan without ropes. It too had me with my knees curled up and peering through my fingers. Insane. It’s called Free Solo, about a climber name Alex Honnald. Peter talked some about another movie by the same documentary movie maker (E. Chai Vasarhelyi) called Meru, which I’d like to see. I’m not sure Joe can take another mountain movie though. I snuck a few looks while we watched Free Solo and I could see his interest waning. He suggested that it might be boring out there on that rock with no ropes. Alex Honnald had every toe hold, every thumb hold, every infinitesimal step of the entire journey memorized and practiced. I didn’t think it looked boring at all.

Yesterday I got my new book in the mail, Late Migrations by Margaret Renkl. I plan to do some reading today.  

Comments