Hal Hartley Binge Part One


This week we watched four Hal Hartley movies: The Unbelievable Truth, Simple MenTrust (the Long Island Trilogy) and Henry Fool. Trust took two sittings to finish, and Henry Fool took three.

Hal Hartley movies are not the best to watch when you're sleepy. Because we walk the dogs for an hour and a half at night and it's bloody hot outside, we don't get home until 8:30. Then we feed the dogs, settle in for a night of movie viewing which is always preceded by some random clips from the days news or a bit of a Joe Rogan Experience, and our movie watching often doesn't begin until after 9:00, when lots of folk our age are headed to bed.

The character Henry Fool is endlessly quotable, and like all of Hal Hartley's characters, speaks in exact, succinct dialogue. Here is one of my favorite lines of Henry Fool: "Opportunity will move out of the way to let a man pass it by." Another: "We are servants of our muse and we toil where she commands." And of course, "An honest man is always in trouble. Remember that, Simon." I confess I googled "Henry Fool Quotes" to find these, but I remember them well from the movie, and most of the others I found.

This morning we talked about Henry Fool. "Do you think Simon Grim is a Jesus character, and Henry Fool is sort of a John the Baptist?" Joe asked as I brushed my teeth.

Joe makes 90% of the movie watching decisions, but he carefully selects movies he thinks I will like. He saves up watching those I'd not enjoy to watch with his friend Peter. I had to watch Steel Magnolias with a girlfriend in a hotel room. Anyway, I wager we watch Fay Grim tonight and follow soon with Ned Rifle. Gentlemen, place your bets.

Comments