Bought and Sold in the Marketplace


My Movie Man and I took a little break from movies to watch the entire second season of Big Little Lies. That one draws me right in. Not sure if it’s the eerie darkness, the beautiful women, the thrill of spying on the super-rich, or the actual story-line. Regardless, loads of fun and I enjoyed our hiatus.

But back to the movies! Last night we watched Easy Rider, which was released 50 years ago this month (well, July).  I wonder if this movie is not as timely now as it was then.

During the famous freedom exchange, I found myself twisting in my love-seat, thinking, "How is this conversation 50 years old? It sounds like it could be in tonight's presidential debates!"

In case you've forgotten:

George: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.
Billy: Huh. Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened, man. Hey, we can't even get into like, uh, second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel. You dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or something, man. They're scared, man.
George: Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.
Billy: Hey man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody needs a haircut.
George: Oh no. What you represent to them is freedom.
Billy: What the hell's wrong with freedom, man? That's what it's all about.
George: Oh yeah, that's right, that's what it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it - that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.
Billy: Mmmm, well, that don't make 'em runnin' scared.
George: No, it makes 'em dangerous. Nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik - Swamp.

If you’d rather see it for yourself here it is.

Like I said, it kind of gut-punched me. America, why do we keep blowing it again and again? 

If it’s been a while since you’ve watched Easy Rider, it might be time. As well as the evocative scenery, dreamy Peter Fonda, endless metaphor, and that trippy, trippy, acid trip, there's the fabulous soundtrack.

Happy Anniversary, Easy Rider.

Comments